General information Scubaquatic El Portillo
Las Terrenas is a town in the province of Samaná, in the north of the Dominican Republic.
In this municipality, the local community coexists in perfect harmony with the foreign community, creating a bohemian atmosphere mixed with the authentic Dominican one. Home of the traditional Dominican bachata dance worldwide and it is in turn the oasis of many foreigners who decided to live in this paradise.
Despite the incipient tourism boom, Las Terrenas preserves its virgin nature on its many beaches. Coconut palm trees in the sand and lush mountains at its back is the most repeated landscape.
Beaches like El Portillo, where we are located, Punta Popy, Cosón, Playa Bonita, Playa Jackson, El Ermitaño with access only by boat; They are just some of its most famous beaches.
Scubaquatic is located in Bahía Príncipe Grand El Portillo, 15 minutes from Las Terrenas. It is located in the center of the routes to the most famous excursions in the area, being a perfect enclave.
Our boats are on the shore of the beach, ready to set sail. We have a fast boat, a glass bottom boat to observe the seabed from the boat and a catamaran with a roof and two motors adapted for both diving and snorkelling.
You can also enjoy sailing sports, such as hobiecat and windsurfing. In addition to kayaking and standup paddle for those who prefer rowing.
For fishing lovers we have deep sea charters, in small or private groups.
In Las Terrenas you can enjoy numerous aquatic activities, which will take place in its warm and transparent waters:
- Scuba Diving – Dives and courses for all levels.
- Snorkel – Our snorkeling excursions to the Whale Stone with the glass bottom boat is ideal for children.
- Excursions – You can visit the paradisiacal Ermitaño beach, the cenotes in Laguna Dudu, Las Galeras as well as visit the Cayo Levantado. You can combine any of these excursions with snorkeling or diving for a greater experience.
- Fishing: Deep sea fishing charters trolling in small or private groups.
- Sailing: Classes or trips in Hobiecat and windsurfing .
- Kayaking and standup paddle.
At Scubaquatic Las Terrenas you can get your PADI or SSI diving course or dive for the first time with our Discover Scuba Diving experience.
We have more than 16 dive sites where you can find everything from coral reefs to a ship called Wreck Dolphin sunk 20 years ago at a depth of 25 meters.
You can also dive in tunnels and caverns next to the volcanic stone of Piedra de la Ballena.
You can contract with us a local dive as well as combine with the family or people who do not dive the excursion to:
▪ Las Galeras: where you can enjoy diving in the coral wall of Cabo Cabrón, while non-divers snorkel at Playa Madame and Playa Frontón.
▪ El Ermitaño where you will dive while non-divers will enjoy snorkeling in Cayo La Cana and the same Ermitaño beach only accessible by boat.
▪ We also organize combined diving and snorkeling excursions to Cayo Levantado where we have another diving base at the Bahía Príncipe Luxury Cayo Levantado resort.
The water temperature usually ranges between 26 ° C and 30 ° C and there is usually excellent visibility, especially in summer and we rarely find currents.
To dive as a certificate it is necessary to be able to show their certification whenever requested (physically or digitally). In addition, if you have not dived for two years or more, it will be necessary to do a Refresh program in the pool, at least the day before the excursion.
If you want to dive in Dolphin Wreck but don’t have an advanced certification that allows you to dive at that depth, don’t hesitate to ask for information to become an Advanced Open Water Diver, you won’t regret it. For the excursion in Las Galeras this level is highly recommended since it will allow you to dive in the most interesting places in Cabo Cabrón, such as in Tibisi, an impressive coral wall that goes from 5 meters to 40 meters deep.
All dives are always done under the supervision of an Instructor or a Divemaster.
If you want to dive in the best places Las Terrenas, Las Galeras or Cayo Levantado and not miss any, we recommend that you get a diving package so you can get a better price for everything.
What can you do in Las Terrenas
Dives spots for certified divers of all levels; reefs, shipwreck, caverns, coral reef walls and lots of fun
Discover the best sites underwater from the surface with a mask and fins only.
Visit the most amazing places in each region; cenotes, virgin beaches, paradisiacal islands…
Learn how to ride a hobie cat or windsurf, feel the adrenaline ride a banana boat and more
Scuba diving courses all levels
If you never has divered and you have not your certificated yet, don´t wait more!
- Discover scuba diving: Diving experience without certification; basic theory, one pool session and one open sea dive to 12 meters / 40 feet
- Scuba Diver: That allows you dive, with a professional, to a maximum depth of 12 meters/ 40 foot, if you do not have time to complete the Open Water course it is your course; 3 chapters of theory, 3 sessions of confined water and 2 dives in the open sea included.
- Open Water Diver: This program will get you a full open water international certification that allows you to dive independently, with a buddy, to a maximum depth of 18 meters/ 60 foot., consists of 5 theory chapters, 5 pool sessions 4 dives in the open sea
If you are a diver already and you wish to continue learning these are the next steps:
- Adventure Diver Certification – Next level after Open water Diver course, included 3 adventure dives and 3 knowledge reviews.
- Advanced Open Water – Certification to dive until 30 mts / 100 ft, included 5 adventure dives, including deep and navigation and 5 knowledge reviews
- Emergency First Response. In this course you will learn skills about emergency first responde to give assistance until medical services arrive
- Rescue Diver – Course which you will learn techniques and skills rescue into the water.
To explore the underwater world in a different ways the PADI Specialty Diver courses are a must.
The specialty diver courses teach new knowledge and techniques for you to widen your field of diving to more exciting environments
- Peak performance Buoyancy: Course where you will learn buoyancy control techniques, swimming trim, effective breathing, fins tips and other skills to control your body while diving (2 dives included)
- Wreck Specialty:Course where you will learn how to dive safe in a wreck (4 dives included)
- Deep specialty: Course where you will learn how dive safe deep dive until 40 metres/ 130 feets
- Nitrox Specialty: Course where you will learn how to dive safe with NItrox
The PADI Divemaster course is the first level to be a PADI professional, with this certification you can guide certified divers, it is the previous step for your PADI instructor course.
If the scuba diving is your passion and you wish to have the ocean like office, turn your hobby into your profession:
- Minimum age 18 years
- confident swimmer
- Certifed as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and PADI Rescue Diver
- Logged 40 scuba dives
- Completed EFR Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months
- Medically evaluated and cleared for diving by a physician within 12 months